November 19, 2008

Nameless Beauty.

A friend of mine gave me a flowering plant as a gift, when she once came over for a visit during the Christmas holidays. The plant was tiny and cactus like, I would say, with interestingly shaped leaves and four delicate pink flowers. Unfortunately the flowers disappeared right after New Year and the plant never flowered again. I thought it never would, as the small buds that sprouted at one point in February all fell off.
Nevertheless, the plant was thriving and kept growing. This summer I placed it in my bedroom window, which receives a lot of light in the morning. The room is the highest point in my house. Positioned in the attic, it is the warmest place at all times during the year.
To my surprise, about a month ago the plant grew new buds; at least hundreds of them it seemed. This time they did not fall of but developed and flourished, until the beautifully pink flowers returned about a week ago. Today I still do not know what the plant is called. If any of you reading this have a suggestion, I would be grateful to know, so I can finally give my favourite plant a name.:)

9 comments:

Mahmud Yussop said...

Wow, what a beauty! My guess is it's a Schlumbergera hybrid which comes in shades of pink, scarlet to white. Some folks refer it to as the Christmas Cactus, characterised by weeping branches and identical notches at their leaves margins. My reference: Botanica, pg.829.

Zuzana said...

Thank you Mahmud! It makes perfect sense, that it is called Christmas Cactus, considering it only blooms around the holidays. It also appeared cactus like to me.
Thank you again for your help.:)

Diane said...

That's beautiful! I think the Universe is shining down on you right now... showing you bits of spring and life and color when you're feeling low because of the weather.

Holly said...

That is a lovely plant with a very unusual look to it. But, what I really want to talk about is that I love that your room is in the attic. That is so cozy and romantic. (It has a 'little princess' sort of feel to it.) I really like the picture I have painted in my mind of your life. :)

I also really enjoyed your book tag. You are so well read!

Melanie Gillispie said...

That's gorgeous!

G said...

Oh yes, the Christmas cactus - but I've never seen such a lovely specimen. You must have a green thumb. :)

Zuzana said...

Diane, I think you are right. I think someone out there knows how much I hate the cold and darkness and tries to remind me that too will pass.:)))

Holly, Holly, you are so right! I love the idea of being like ‘a little princess’; this has inspired me for a new post, which I will post soon.:))
I am not sure about how well read I am though, but thank you so much for such a wonderful compliment.

Mel, gorgeous is the right word, I agree.:)))

G, I am not so sure about the green thumb, I think mostly I was lucky to receive a healthy plant to begin with. Glad you are back.:))

Hilary said...

Oh yes, a Christmas Cactus for sure. My mother in law used to have several because of how cheery they were at this time of year. I think I'll go pick one up. Yours is a beauty!

Zuzana said...

Hilary, indeed it is so wonderful to see something bloom when the nature outside is getting ready for a long winter sleep. Thank you for the compliment; I think I was just lucky that the plant likes my bedroom window.:)